About Our Club
The Royal Motor Yacht Club Port Hacking– founded in 1934 is a not for profit club which, over the years, has built a proud and interesting history and relationships which members and the local community.
Situated on Gunnamatta Bay, RMYC Port Hacking has direct access to the waterfront to enhance your life on the water.
We offer a range of facilities including a marina, slipway, dry storage, and casual berthing. Learn more about our waterfront facilities here.
RMYC Port Hacking runs numerous sub-clubs that support community life on and around the water as well as membership types to suit everyone.
Our location, community spirit, restaurant and bar, and unsurpassed views ensures that our club, your club is a fantastic place to relax, unwind and enjoy all that we have to offer. There’s always something happening at RMYC Port Hacking!
The Port Hacking Rowing and Motor Boat Club operated at Lilli Pilli from 1922. In 1932 the name was changed to the Port Hacking Power Boat Club.
In January 1934, Foundation Commodore Claude Daly and Vice Commodore Frank O’Brian approached the Royal Motor Yacht Club of NSW with a request for the establishment of a branch of the RMYC at Port Hacking. The minutes of the RMYC, Point Piper, dated 30 January 1934, duly recorded the unanimous agreement of the Parent Club Directors.
Today the ‘Royals’ comprise Rose Bay (Point Piper, the ‘parent’ club), Broken Bay, Toronto and Port Hacking, all incorporated organisations owned by their members.
The official opening of the RMYC Port Hacking’s modest clubhouse on the current site took place on 8 December 1934. Early activities of our club centred around speed boat and cruiser racing and, until the late seventies and early eighties, Gunnamatta Bay was the site of the Club’s registered race circuit where traditional and ‘three pointer’ hulls raced at speeds in excess of 50mph.
Many of the proud traditions of the Club have their roots in the club’s past and continuing association with the Royal Australian Navy. This included the club’s premises being taken over by the Navy during World War II to house the Southern Command Headquarters of the Volunteer Coastal Patrol, under the command of Rear Admiral Gould. During this time a number of members’ boats saw service as coastal patrol vessels between Sydney and Wollongong.